Guidelines To An Effective Search For Low Income Housing

Monday, February 22nd, 2016

Individuals and families with low to moderate incomes, individuals with disabilities, and senior citizens may qualify for assistance from HUD for low income housing. HUD (United States Department of Housing and Urban Development) does not own rental property outright, but provides funds to states and building owners. These funds allow state governments and landlords to offer low income housing to eligible parties.

The best way to begin your low income housing search is to find a local housing agency (HA) or by visiting HUD’s website. Local HAs have extensive knowledge of low income housing opportunities in a given area. These agencies will help you determine whether or not you are eligible for this type of assistance. If you are eligible, they will help you find a home that fits your needs and preferences. HUD supports three primary types of low income. These types are known as privately owned low income housing, public low income housing, and assistance offered by the Housing Choice Voucher Program.

Privately owned low income housing

Property owners may choose to create subsidized housing to offer reduced rent for low income tenants. If you decide to pursue privately owned low income housing, you must search for a property and apply directly with its management office. Consider starting your low income housing search on HUD’s website. You must select a state to search and within that state you must provide a city, county, zip code, or name of a property. You can also specify the type of apartment you are looking for (i.e. family, disabled, elderly, etc.) and the number of bedrooms you would like. Once you’ve entered your specifications, the site will generate properties that meet your criteria. You will have to apply separately to each privately owned property that fits your needs.

Public low income housing

Public low income housing consists of state owned houses and apartments intended for low income families, senior citizens, and individuals with disabilities. Local HAs oversee units in a given area and rent these units at a price that is attainable for low income individuals and families. If you’re interested in this type of assistance, consult with a public HA in your state. Public housing is in high demand in many areas of the country. Depending on the specific region where you are interested in living, it may be advisable to contact multiple HAs to increase your chances of getting assistance.

Housing Choice Voucher Program low income housing

The Housing Choice Voucher Program allows you to find your own rental property and use a voucher to cover a portion or the entirety of your rent. This type of assistance is intended for very low income families, individuals with disabilities, and the elderly. You may select any unit that fits the requirements for the Public Housing Program. With the voucher program, the public HA pays the landlord a direct subsidy. Then, you are responsible for the difference between the rent and the amount subsidized.

To receive Section 8 eligibility, your total annual income must not exceed 50% of the median income for your area. When you are granted a voucher, you may be responsible for rent payments up to 30% of your monthly income. The government funds cover the remainder of the rent. Once you are eligible for Section 8, you may use your voucher in an area of your choosing. Remember that being qualified does not ensure you will get low income housing. Depending on the demand for a particular area, you may end up on a waiting list.

To apply for the voucher program, get in touch with a public HA in your state. You can also contact your local HUD office for assistance or visit the Housing Choice Voucher Program website.

Assertive Management Group is a part of Hope Housing Foundation (HOPE) based in McKinney, Texas. We help individuals and families receive the support they need. In order to better our community as a whole, we are also involved in a number of local initiatives including resident services, development programs, and educational scholarships. To learn more about our services, call us at (214) 842-8383 or Contact Us by email.